MARCH 6, 2018
An invitation to pray by Bishop Mark Webb of the Upper New York Annual Conference, leading the United Methodist Church in “Praying Our Way Forward” for the week of March 4-10, 2018.
In this season of discernment for the future of our beloved United Methodist Church, we need to pray. We need to pray for the members of the Commission on a Way Forward, the Council of Bishops, the Upper New York delegation and all delegations that will participate in the special called session of General Conference in February 2019. I urge you to personally set a time each day for prayer; gather with others in a small group setting and pray; or participate or plan a prayer service in your local church. Pray for God’s wisdom; pray for our ability to listen; pray for our willingness to say yes to the direction of God for our life together. Before the vote on a way forward comes, let’s engage in the work of praying forward for the glory of God.
Here are some ways you can pray during this significant week:
- Set a time each day specifically to pray for the Commission on a Way Forward
- Organize a prayer vigil or prayer circle in your congregation
- Invite people to sign up for 15-30 minutes of meditation and prayer for a specific day
- If there is a church meeting or event scheduled this week, offer a special prayer in opening and closing devotions
- Start a prayer chain for each day specifically for the Commission on a Way Forward
Intentional prayer for the work of the Commission on a Way Forward is important for a fruitful future for the United Methodist Church to continue making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.